Make sure to use the right breast shield size. It is an essential component of effective pumping, helping to optimise milk flow.
Understanding Medela’s Breast Shield Sizing
Pumping should not hurt. For maximum comfort and pumping efficiency, Medela offers five breast shield sizes.
This guide is a starting point to help determine your optimal size based on your nipple diameter.
Did you know?
- You may need a different size per breast.
- Your breast shield size will depend on your breast tissue and skin elasticity.
- Your breast shield size could change over the duration of your pumping experience.
- When you apply vacuum pressure, your nipple size could change.
- Pressing the breast shield too hard could block milk ducts.
Reasons to Try a New Size
- Does your nipple rub the tunnel sides to the point of causing discomfort?
- Do you see excessive areola being pulled into the tunnel?
- Do you see any redness?
- Is your nipple or areola turning white?
- Do you feel unexpressed milk after pumping?
If you answered «YES» to any of these questions, consider trying a new size by following the measuring instructions above. If you are still unsure
that you selected the correct size, see a lactation consultant or breastfeeding specialist.